Sunday, January 07, 2007

Fun with Latex

(From First Steps in Latex by George Gratzer)

goto http://www.ctan.org

follow the link to the introduction page (http://www.ctan.org/starter.html) and download protext.

Follow all the steps (I didn't install the editor as I'd rather use emacs/vim)

Additional step:

install graphics.sty from http://www.cs.umu.se/~drewes/graphs/

I put all except the pdfs into the directory I was trying to edit - obviously this needed to be fixed and the correct procedure is to install under \texmf\tex\latex\ and refresh the list, as described in http://cerium.raunvis.hi.is/~tpr/latex/


I used the mathematics coursework example to do this and graphs.sty is needed for the pagenumering and the labelling of equations as * and **, wierd. Once I understand more about it, I'll need to revisit this.


Once you have a useable installation and a valid tex document, try

latex name.tex name.dvi

dvips name.dvi -o name.ps
ps2pdf name.pdf name.pdf
(alternatively, you can do this in one step with dvimpdf)

job done.

Pain to learn but very logical once you get your head around it.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger